Grant Awarding Policy
Every year the parish council agrees a budget for grants to be awarded to organisations that benefit residents of Hanham Abbots parish. The budget for 2020/21 is £2,000 and a grant to any one applicant is normally made in the range of £100 – £500.
Grant applications are considered twice annually; in mid April and mid October. If a grant is awarded then this will be paid to the applicant in early May and early November respectively.
Eligibility Criteria for and Conditions attached to Grants
- The amount of grant payable to any organisation will be determined by Hanham Abbots Parish Council.
- That any grant awarded should not exceed 50% of the sum required by the voluntary organisation for the purpose stated in its application.
- That where a grant is awarded, the organisation concerned should be able to demonstrate that it had clear plans for raising the remainder of the necessary finance.
- That the applying organisation should be a properly constituted voluntary body and should be either based wholly in Hanham Abbots Parish or able to demonstrate to the Council’s satisfaction that a significant number of its beneficiaries are residents in Hanham Abbots Parish.
- That the organisation concerned should demonstrate that it was providing a service outside the scope of or in addition to normal public or private provision.
- That organisations applying would need to provide a set of audited accounts for the previous financial year (except in relation to new organisations).
- That a condition of any grant be that the Parish Clerk would reserve the right, on behalf of the Hanham Abbots Parish Council, to verify that the grant had been used for the purpose authorised.
- That grants or donations were not payable to organisations or charities operating abroad, as stipulated by Section 137 of the Local Government Act, 1972.
- That grants or donations could not be utilised to “sponsor” named individuals, e.g. aspiring sportsmen, etc as stipulated by Section 137 of the Local Government Act, 1972.