Hanham Abbots is on the eastern fringe of Bristol and sits between the A431 Bath Road and the River Avon. It encompasses the southern edge of Hanham and the south western edge of Longwell Green. The majority of Hanham Abbots is semi-rural, with urban aspects towards Hanham, and includes two small ranks of shops, three primary schools and one secondary school. A large part of Hanham Abbots is designated as Green Belt which is precious to the local community.
Hanham Abbots is in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire.
Hanham Abbots Parish Council was formed in 1895 and comprises of:
- 4 Councillors representing Longwell Green East Ward
- 9 Councillors representing Hanham West Ward
- The Clerk
- Parish Warden
Edwin Short, the first Clerk to Hanham Abbots Parish Council since its formation, on his retirement in 1933